You now need to select an existing brand the brand I choose is Ben and Jerry and develop an idea for a new brand extension e.g. Dove toothpaste. This is partly a creative exercise, but it must be based on thorough research into:
1. The current values of the brand being extended
2. The potential target market for the brand extension.
This will involve academic research, secondary research and competitor research in store. It may also involve small scale primary research to establish whether your new brand extension finds acceptance with your chosen target market. However, for this assignment, marks will be awarded for the results of the primary research, not a full description of the process of carrying it out.
Conducting the Research
1. Academic Reading
You need to ensure that you have read, at the very least, chapters 6, 9 and 10 in Brassington and Pettitt’s “Essentials of Marketing” and the BB source materials available on Kapferer’s Brand Identity Prism.
Also use WARC to find articles on (or related to) the topic of brand extensions – for example
• WARC June 2016 :How to extend a brand
• WARC News 23 January 2013 “Brand extensions favoured by shoppers”
• WARC Case Study :John Lewis Insurance: The power of true brand extension marketing, IPA Effectiveness Awards, 2016
• D. Aaker (1990) Brand Extensions: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
2. Secondary Research
You will need to make reference to appropriate Mintel reports as well as the company’s website and press articles about the existing brands. You should also try to find information about the brand’s values and existing target market. Additionally you will need to research current issues in the marketing environment (PESTEL analysis) that potentially could impact on your new product introduction.
3. Competitor Research
You will need to look at the existing products in the new suggested market to ensure that your new brand could compete effectively (e.g. with Dove toothpaste you will need to consider Colgate and Aquafresh)
10 minute Presentation
A 10-minute PowerPoint presentation with an additional 5 minute Q &A session.
The presentation needs to cover the following points
• Background on the chosen brand include useful data such as market share, market size and trends in sales.
• Coverage of the existing brand values supported with use of visual examples.eg advertising campaigns, company’s web site, sponsorship activities etc.
• A brief explanation of the new product with reference to what growth strategy the brand is adopting. (Ansoff).
• Clear identification of the proposed target market for the new brand extension ( include any primary data results if undertaken)
• Any key trends and PESTEL issues that have influenced your choice of brand extension idea.
• A comparative analysis of your suggested brand extension with any key competition identified in the new market sector.
• A Visual Image of the Brand Extension showing brand name, packaging design and logo. You also need to consider how your brand extension will be distinct from competing products.
Writing the Report
The report is a supporting document to the materials presented above and you need to include a sound academic framework to the discussion.
We suggest that you adhere to the following headings for your reports:
THIS IS WRITTEN LAST (because it is a summary of your research) BUT IT APPEARS FIRST (even before the contents page), in order to catch the attention of the reader and encourage them to read further. It should cover in one page or less:
• The aims of the report,
• The methods of research,
• The results (top-line summary only)
Contents Page (Use the feature in Word to do this automatically)
This should be quite brief. It should include the aims of the report and some background on the chosen brand. Include useful data such as market share, market size and trends in sales, which you can find from the most recent Mintel reports and in the trade press
A simple statement of how the research was carried out. This is particularly important in terms of competitor research, observational research, or primary research if you included it. Ideally you should critique whether your data is sufficient to justify your conclusions.
It is suggested that you use sub-headings to make your report easier to follow. You could adopt the following headings:
• Existing brand and Brand Values -coverage to include key academic definitions explaining what is a brand, the concept of a brand extension and a detailed examination of one academic model on branding.(i.e.Kapferer’s Brand Identity Prism).
• Description of the Target Market – a detailed description of the TA for the new brand extension supported by reference to secondary sources e.g. Mintel and TGI supported by academic coverage of STP marketing planning process.
• Analysis of the New Market, Including Trends ¬¬– PESTLE analysis and Ansoff’s Grid
• An Explanation of the New Product (Tauber’s Brand Extension Options, product packaging, the choice of a brand name and brand positioning)
• Competition – a comparative analysis of your suggested brand extension with any competition identified in the new market sector (this should be tabulated)
You should try to put relevant raw data in the appendices and just include a summary in the body of the report. Every time you state a fact e.g. market size, price data, sales etc. you must provide a referenced source for that fact (both in the text and in the reference list). All tables and graphs should have the source written directly underneath.
This is where you provide some element of evaluation of your research findings. Do you think your brand extension will be successful? Why/Why not?
This should be listed alphabetically by Surname and should follow the rules of Harvard Referencing perfectly
Use the appendices to display any raw research data, such as pricing data.
A group log of individual contribution to the task must also be included.
• You may not write in first person – using I, me or my.
• Your report should be written in a formal business-like manner.
You may include tables and photographs in the body of the report, but they must all include the source (below and to the right) and title (to the left and above).
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.