Week 4 Study Guide
Answer the following seven questions about the reading and videos for the week. Write out your answers on a computer and then either upload the file or paste into the submission text box. Do not write directly into the text box because it doesn’t save your work. If you upload a file, only use doc, docx, pdf, or jpg.
1. Truth tables are foundational in understanding the way these logical operators work. Show whether or not the following inferences are valid using indirect truth tables and explain your reasoning in a sentence or two. It can be hard to format truth tables online. The easiest way is to make a table in your word processor. If that doesn’t work, you can simply draw them out on paper and upload a photo along with the assignment.
A ∙ B
B ⊃ C
A v B
B ⊃ C
∼(A v B)
∼A ⊃ ∼C
∼C ∙ ∼B
A ≡ B
A ⊃ (B ⊃ C)
B ⊃ (A ⊃ C)
2. Material implication says that P ⊃ Q is equivalent to ~P v Q (in quasi-english, “if P then Q” is equivalent to “not-P or Q”). Why is it important to understand this? Give an example of a conversation in which this equivalence could be useful.
3. Here is an example of affirming the consequent:
If Thor has his hammer, then he can shoot lightening.
Thor can shoot lightening.
Therefore, Thor has his hammer.
If it’s not clear that this argument is invalid, watch Thor: Ragnarok. In this movie, Thor’s hammer is destroyed, but he is still able to shoot lightening. In other words, Thor can shoot lightening with or without his hammer (although it takes him most of the movie to realize it).
Why do you think it’s so common for people to make this type of fallacious argument? In answering this question, be sure to explain what valid argument form this fallacy resembles.
4. Here is an example of denying the antecedent:
If the Hulk gets irritated, then he will smash stuff.
The hulk is not irritated.
Therefore he is not smashing stuff.
Again, this argument isn’t valid. The Hulk also smashes stuff when he’s happy, it’s just one of the things the Hulk often gets excited about doing. Why do you think it’s so common for people to make this type of fallacious argument? In answering this question, be sure to explain what valid argument form this fallacy resembles.
5. What does it mean for a disjunct to be inclusive? Take a standard sentence in English —say, “Thor will win the fight or all of Asgard will be destroyed” (Thor is from Asgard). Is this use of “or” inclusive? Explain.
6. Here is an example of affirming a disjunct:
You either love Guardians of the Galaxy or you love Avengers Endgame.
You love Avengers Endgame.
Therefore, you don’t love Guardians of the Galaxy.
Of course, you could love both movies, so this argument isn’t valid. Once again, why do you think people make this type of fallacious argument?
7. What is your favorite idea from Chapter 4 (either this week or last week). Why? Explain your thinking.
in the attachment :Chapter 4 – Tools for Deductive Reasoning with Claims, 4.3 & 4.5 (pp. 90-96 & 101-105)
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.