(2 parts to the assignment – one for Ch. 10 and one for Ch. 11)
Watch the following Video:
Read Chapter 10 – Corporate Governance.
Chapter Overview: The purpose of this chapter is to present and discuss how shareholders (owners) can ensure that managers develop and implement strategic decisions in the best interests of the shareholders (owners) and not be primarily self-serving (working for the best interests of managers only, to the detriment of shareholders). In the absence of effective internal governance mechanisms, the market for corporate control—an external governance mechanism—may be activated. While it is a subject most frequently associated with firms in the U.S. and the U.K., the effectiveness of governance is gaining attention throughout the world. The chapter begins by describing the relationship that provides the foundation on which the modern corporation is built—i.e., the relationship between owners and managers. However, the majority of this chapter is devoted to an explanation of various mechanisms owners use to govern managers and ensure maximization of shareholder value.
Define corporate governance and explain why it is used to monitor and control managers’ strategic decisions.
1. Explain why ownership has been largely separated from managerial control in the corporation.
2. Define an agency relationship and managerial opportunism and describe their strategic implications.
3. Explain how three internal governance mechanisms — ownership concentration, the board of directors, and executive compensation —are used to monitor and control managerial decisions.
4. Discuss the types of compensation executives receive and their effects on strategic decisions.
5. Describe how the external corporate governance mechanism—the market for corporate control—acts as a restraint on top-level managers’ strategic decisions.
6. Discuss the use of corporate governance in international settings, especially in German, Japan, and China.
7. Describe how corporate governance fosters ethical strategic decisions and the importance of such behaviors on the part of top level executives.
PART ONE: Write a short essay explaining any three (3) of the above learning objectives and give real-life examples to illustrate your comments . The essay should be: a) in your own works (no copying paraphrasing your textbook; b) give real-life specific examples. After reading your essay I should have the impression that “this person knows what they are talking about. In good business English, spell checked, with each objective clearly identified.
Chapter 11 – Organizational Structure and Controls
Watch the following video:
Chapter Overview: As students will recall, the discussion in the previous chapter (Chapter 10) described how governance mechanisms are used to align the interests of a firm’s top-level managers with those of the firm’s owners. It also described how those mechanisms influence the firm’s ability to execute strategies that have been implemented successfully as the firm strives to achieve a competitive advantage in the new competitive landscape. The same could be said of organizational structure, the focus of the current chapter.
Define organizational structure and controls and discuss the difference between strategic and financial controls.
1. Describe the relationship between strategy and structure.
2. Discuss the functional structures used to implement business-level strategies.
3. Explain the use of three versions of the multidivisional (M-form) structure to implement different diversification strategies.
4. Discuss the organizational structures used to implement three international strategies.
5. Define strategic networks and discuss how strategic center firms implement such networks at the business, corporate and international levels.
PART TWO: Write a short essay explaining and three (3) of the above learning objectives and give real-world examples to illustrate your comments. The essay should be: a) in your own works (no copying paraphrasing your textbook; b) give real-life specific examples. After reading your essay I should have the impression that “this person knows what they are talking about. In good business English, spell checked, with each objective clearly identified.
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.