For each question, list out all functional dependencies and the new relations created from the functional dependencies for each question. To receive full credit, you must list the functional dependency and the relations for each question.
Final Relations must be in third normal form (3NF). When creating the functional dependencies and relations the correct syntax must be used to receive full credit.
Each question will have at least one functional dependency but may have more. Based on the information provided in each question, first determine the functional dependencies. Once dependencies are created, determine the relations. For each relation, determine all the attributes (fields) and specify which attribute or attributes will make up the primary key. Once you determine the relations and attributes make sure that the final relations are in least 3NF.
Tip: The relations name in a singular noun and the primary key is underlined. Each question is worth 3 points unless otherwise indicated.
Read through the scenario completely and carefully before creating the relational model for questions 1 to 5. Suppose we have the following requirements to create a university database.
1. The university keeps track of each student’s first name, last name, id number, major, phone, start semester, start year, and date of birth.
2. Each academic department is described by department name, department code, office number, office phone, and college.
3. The university keeps track of each professor’s name, id number, phone, salary, hire date and department they work in.
4. Each course has a course name, description, course number, number of credit hours per course, level (undergraduate or graduate), and department code.
5. The same courses are offered every semester. Each course offering has a course number, section number, professor’s id, and the semester and year the course is being taught in. The section number distinguishes different sections of the same course that are taught in the same semester.
HINT: An example of a course is CIS 380 A. CIS 380 is the course number and A is the section.
6. Part (PartNo, Description, (VendorNum, VendorName, Address, UnitCost))
7. Employee (EmployeeID, EmployeeName, SkillCode, SkillTitle, SkillType)
8. (4 points) Ticket (StudentID, FirstName, LastName, PhoneNo, StateLicense, StateLicenseNo, (TicketNum, Date, TicketCode, Fine))
HINT 1: You cannot determine a state license number based off knowing the state license.
HINT 2: You can determine the fine amount based off knowing the ticket code.
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.