In her article, Zaloom describes a transformation in the identity, characteristics and stability of the middle class. What is the transformation? What examples can you find from the readings and videos from last week (Week 10) and this week (Week 11) explain her perspective of the American middle class today. Describe and analyze these examples to demonstrate their connection to Zaloom’s ideas.
1) REPLACEMENT/UPDATED READING: Koball and Jiang “Child Poverty and Intergenerational Mobility,” National Center for Children in Poverty, Columbia University (2018 version), http://www.nccp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/text_1194.pdf
2) Abby Vesoulis, “Coronavirus May Disproportionately Hurt the Poor—And That’s Bad for Everyone,” time.com, Mar. 11, 2020 https://time.com/5800930/how-coronavirus-will-hurt-the-poor/
3) Oliver Laughland, “‘Death by structural poverty’: US south struggles against Covid-19,” The Guardian, Aug. 5, 2020 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/05/us-deepsouth-racism-poverty-fuel-coronavirus-pandemic
4) Linda Burton and Whitney Welsh, “Inequality and Opportunity: The Role of Exclusion, Social Capital, and Generic Social Processes in Upward Mobility,” William T. Grant Foundation, 2015, https://wtgrantfoundation.org/library/uploads/2016/01/Inequality-and-Opportunity-Burton-and-Welsh-William-T.-Grant-Foundation.pdf
5) Caitlin Zaloom, “Does the U.S. Still Have a ‘Middle Class’? White-collar work today is fundamentally insecure,” The Atlantic, Nov 4, 2018, https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/what-does-middle-class-really-mean/574534/
6) Arne L. Kalleberg, “The Social Contract in an Era of Precarious Work,” Pathways (Fall, 2012): pp. 3-https://inequality.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/media/_media/pdf/pathways/fall_2012/Pathways_Fall_2012%20_Kalleberg.pdf
7) “Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick? Part Seven: Not Just a Paycheck” (30min, 2008)
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.